Monday, February 4, 2013

Blahg 4- While blogging is definitely not my most favorite thing, I did enjoy learning about clickers last class. I really like the potential for class engagement and also for saving paper + scantrons on multiple choice exams.

As for presentation media, Google slides sounds promising, particularly for group projects. Generally I am a diehard PowerPoint fan, but I like the appeal of a collaborative forum for group work; that way, one person is not stuck trying to merge multiple group members' slides into 1 cohesive powerpoint.

I guess theoretically Prezi could work for groups as well, although I don't know that it would allow simultaneous editing. Also, I've seen many Prezi presentations  that "surprised" the author mid-presentation with weird cropping of text/the intended screen. Likewise, it seems to be harder for the author to predict whether text will be too small to be legible for the audience or if color contrast is appropriate (again, audience legibility issues) on Prezi. Since I've only observed these glitches and never used Prezi myself, I'm not sure whether these problems are user-error or inherent in Prezi. To stay on the safe side, I'll avoid Prezi.

2 comments:

  1. I too felt that clickers is a useful technology to incorporate into class instruction for the same reason. Since I missed google slides part of the class, would you mind to tell a little bit about google slides in our team huddles meeting tomorrow. Good to know your perspective on use of tablets in schools especially because of your teaching experience in a middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only seen a handful of talks accompanied by Prezi, and they were generally well-done. Unfortunately, the audience seemed more interested in the technology than the message. Not what the presenters were going for!

    ReplyDelete